The following comes from – http://pauldnewman.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/when-does-day-begin.html
When does a day begin?
With the Gregorian calendar starting a day at midnight and with Jewish custom starting a day at sunset it is easy to see how someone could easily become confused trying to keep scriptural time. I am writing this short study to prove from scripture that a day begins at dawn and so we will continue with that premise.
Gen 1:1 In the beginning Elohim created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2 And the earth came to be formless and empty, and darknesswas on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of Elohim was moving on the face of the waters.
Gen 1:3 And Elohim said, “Let light come to be,” and light came to be.
Gen 1:4 And Elohim saw the light, that it was good. And Elohimseparated the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5 And Elohim called the light ‘day’ and the darkness He called ‘night.’ And there came to be evening and there came to bemorning, the first day.
These first five verses of scripture really tell the entire story. In verse 2, we see that the earth is covered in darkness. Verse 3 tells us that the creator spoke light into existence as His first act of creation. He then divides the light from the darkness. (And we know that what YHWH hath joined, let not man separate. The opposite could also be true.) Then in verse 5 He calls the light “day” and He calls the darkness “night”. How then does it make sense to say that a day begins when it is dark? Much of the confusion comes from the remainder of the verse: It says that “there came to be evening and there came to be morning, the first day.” First of all, lets look at the distinct Hebrew words used in this verse:
Light = “Or” A noun literally meaning light. The opposite of darkness.
Day = “Yom” What YHWH named the period of time that contains light.
Darkness = “Choshek” The state before light was created. The absence of light.
Night = “Laila” What YHWH named the period of time that contains darkness (no light).
Evening = “Erev” The latter part of a day. (Afternoon)
Morning = “Boker” The first part of a day.
Evening and morning are defined here as parts of the first day NOT in any way a seperate day. We could say that morning is the first part of the day and evening is the second part of the day and both contain light.
Now, look at the pattern presented throughout the first chapter of Genesis:
YHWH creates (does work) Then evening comes, then morning comes and that is defined as a day.
We see this exact pattern six times in a row.
Now let us see if we can make better sense of these verses with our new understanding.
Gen 1:3 And Elohim said, “Let Or come to be,” and Or came to be.
Gen 1:4 And Elohim saw the Or, that it was good. And Elohim separated the Or from the Choshek.
Gen 1:5 And Elohim called the Or ‘Yom’ and the Choshek He called ‘Laila.’ And (after He finished that day’s creation) there came to be Erev and there came to be Boker (When the first day completes and the second day begins), the first Yom.
Furthermore, look at verses 14-19 of the same chapter:
Gen 1:14 And Elohim said, “Let lights come to be in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and moedim, and for days and years,
Gen 1:15 and let them be for lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth.” And it came to be so.
Gen 1:16 And Elohim made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night, and the stars.
Gen 1:17 And Elohim set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth,
Gen 1:18 and to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And Elohim saw that it was good.
Gen 1:19 And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, the fourth day.
YHWH then creates the sun, moon and stars as a perpetual calendar in the sky. His word plainly says that the sun rules during the day and the moon rules at night. How can anyone claim that sunset begins a day when the sun gives way to the moon? His word plainly says that the moon rules the NIGHT not the DAY.
Joh 11:9 יהושע answered, “Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world.
Joh 11:10 “But if anyone walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.”
If we stick to the understanding revealed in the first chapter of Genesis, it is easy to see that a day (The period of time that contains light – ruled by the sun) contains twelve hours (on a sundial). He even states that if you walk in daytime, you see the light and do not stumble. However, walking at night (in darkness) could cause stumbling because you cannot see clearly. Such a simple and yet profound truth. If a day begins at sunset, the words of the Master sound like the ravings of a madman!
- But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day. The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble. Proverbs 4:18-19
- Messiah Yahushua said, “I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” John 8:12
- “Ye are the light of the world”. Matthew 5:14
- “Let your light so shine before men” Matthew 5:16
- In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehended it not. John 1:4
- The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the light that all men through him might believe. John 1:7
- “For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth, cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in Yahuwah.” John 3:20
- But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who had called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. 1Peter 2:9
- But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light. Ephesians 5:13
- Then Elohim said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years. Genesis 1:14
- When the Gazites were told, “Samson has come here!” they surrounded the place and lay in wait for him all night at the gate of the city. They were quiet all night, saying, “In the morning, when it is daylight, we will kill him.” Judges 16:2
- And so it was, at noon, that Elijah mocked them and said, “Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is meditating, or he is busy, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is sleeping and must be awakened.” 1 Kings 18:27
- Then they took up Asahel and buried him in his father’s tomb, which was in Bethlehem. And Joab and his men went all night, and then they came to Hebron at daybreak. 2 Samuel 2:32
- But the men would not heed him. So the man took his concubine and brought her out to them. And they knew her and abused her all nightuntil morning; and when the day began to break, they let her go. Judges 19:25
- When I lie down, I say, “When shall I arise, and the night be ended?” For I have had my fill of tossing till dawn. Job 7:4
- Then Elohim made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. Elohim set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth, and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness.
- To Him who made great lights, for His mercy endures forever– Thesun to rule by day, for His mercy endures forever; the moon and stars to rule by night, for His mercy endures forever. Psalms 136:7-9
- I know that whatever Elohim does, it shall be forever. Nothing can be added to it, and nothing taken from it. Elohim does it, that men should fear before Him. Ecclesiastes 3:14
- The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our Eloah stands forever. Isaiah 40:8
- You make darkness, and it is night, in which all the beasts of the forest creep about. Psalms 104:20
Line upon line, precept upon precept. Here is what Yahusha teaches us concerning the day:
Yahusha answered,“ARE THERE NOT TWELVE HOURS IN THE DAY? If anyone walks in the day,he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world.
“For the reign of the heavens is like a man, a householder who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard.
2 “And when he had agreed with the workers for a silver piece A DAY, he sent them into his vineyard.
3 “And he went out about the THIRD HOUR and saw others standing idle in the market-place,
4 and said to them, ‘You too go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I shall give you.’ And they went.
5 “Having gone out again about the SIXTH and the NINTH HOUR, he did likewise.
6 “And about the ELEVENTH HOUR, having gone out, he found others standing idle, and said to them, ‘Why do you stand here idle all day?’
7 “They said to him, ‘Because no one hired us.’ He said to them, ‘You too go into the vineyard, and whatever is right you shall receive.’
8 “AND WHEN EVENING (G3798 – opsios) CAME, THE MASTER OF THE VINEYARD SAID TO HIS MANAGER, ‘CALL THE WORKERS AND PAY THEM THEIR WAGES, BEGINNING WITH THE LAST TO THE FIRST.’
9 “And when those came who were hired about the eleventh hour,they each received a silver piece.
10 “And when the first came, they thought they would receive more. But they too received each a silver piece.
11 “And when they received it, they grumbled against the householder,
12 saying, ‘THESE LAST HAVE WORKED ONLY ONE HOUR, and you made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the heat of the day.’
He went out in the morning and hired workers – they worked the 12hours of the day – when the 12th hour was over – which was EVENING – he paid them their wages.
Morning – day –evening
14 “Do not oppress a hired servant who is poor and needy, of your brothers or of the strangers who is in your land within your gates.
15 “GIVE HIM HIS WAGES ON THE SAME DAY, and do not let the sun go down on it, for he is poor and lifts up his being to it, so that he does not cry out against you to Yahuah,and it shall be sin in you.
‘Do not oppress your neighbor or rob him.THE WAGES OF HIM WHO IS HIRED IS NOT TO REMAIN WITH YOU ALL NIGHT UNTIL MORNING.
This totally destroys the understanding that the day begins in the evening. If you had to pay them that same day and evening begins the next day then you’d have to pay them before the 12thhour is over and the sun sets. It wouldn’t even be possible to make sure that his pay is not remaining with you all night until morning UNLESS the morning began the NEXT day.
AND WHEN EVENING CAME, WHEN THE SUN HAD SET, they brought to Him all who were sick and those who were demon-possessed.
According to evening to evening Yahusha’s parable of the 11th hour worker shows very clearly that it was not until after the 12thhour when evening came that the workers were paid. This would be a direct transgression against the law that specifically says, “give him his wages on the same day”.
Mark1:32 tells us exactly when evening came to be – when the sun set.
The king james version has been corrupted.
The proof is in the text.
“Do not add to the Word which I command you, and do not takeaway from it, so as to guard the commands of Yahuah your Elohim which I am commanding you.